A native of Springfield, Virginia, Ryan Erik Adamsons is a freelance musician based in Chicago. Ryan has been involved with music from an early age, most notably as the inspiration for his sister's grade school "Reflections" contest award-winning composition, "My Brother Thinks He's a Dog." In retrospect it was less that he thought he was a dog and more that he and the dog were on the same level (literally and figuratively) so they hung out a lot and thus shared the same traits of barking, panting, chewing on bones, etc., but in the past few months Ryan has pretty much stopped all that and assimilated himself into human society such as it is.
Emerging from canine to bipedal culture, Ryan did a bunch of things like eat, sleep, shower, and brush his teeth; often on a daily basis. When he wasn't doing this he was probably doing something among the following:
- Earning Bachelor of Science Degrees in Jazz Studies and Brass Performance under Jack Schantz and Scott Johnston respectively at the University of Akron (2000-2006)
- Earning his Masters Degree in Jazz Composition under Tom Matta at DePaul University in Chicago (2007- 2009)
- Teaching music in California, Illinois, Texas, Indiana, Missouri, Ohio, Tennessee, Virginia, Wyoming, Japan, or some other fancy place
- Writing and/or performing with groups such as Daphne Willis, Nootka Sound, Tom Matta Big Band, Bob Lark Alumni Big Band, Billy Wolfe Composer's Octet and Tetradectet, Jazz Community Big Band, and his own group the Medium Ensemble.
- Working as the Production Coordinator for the annual Jazz Education Network Conference and chairing the JEN Mentoring Project
Other than that Ryan is a bald guy with a beard who likes coffee, beer, whiskey, cooking, and tactilely soft things. His spirit animal is the American Pika and he can't rule out that he enjoys long walks on the beach since he's never really gone on one, but he does one day hope to quit writing about himself in the third person and live on a farm with lots of room to run with the other dogs.
All content is property of Ryan Erik Adamsons and may not be used without permission